“Resources For Creating and Practicing Civil Attitudes and Habits”
Purpose of this project: Creating ways to manage, maintain, improve and sustain human quality of life by resisting the evils of incivility such as bullying disregard, disrespect, that lead to misery, violence and war!
Prologue: Maintaining attitudes and habits of Civility is as difficult as it is to stack rocks in Cairn Art! See photo as an example of a delicate balance such as occurs between civility and incivility!
Life is an ongoing struggle for doing the right thing. Civility requires daily positive response to managing, maintaining and practicing the social arts of Understanding, Valuing, Caring and Respect for the benefit of the common good!
Incivility Defined: Rude or unsociable speech or behavior, discourtesy, impoliteness, bad manners, disrespect…see more below. Also see “Uncivilly” at https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/uncivility
- Quiz: #1. Make a “shirt pocket” list of civil attitudes and habits to practice day by day.
- Quiz #2. Make a :”shirt pocket” list of uncivil attitudes and habits to resist day by day.
- A “shirt pocket list” of positive response strategies was practiced by the early 20th century president of then, U.S. Steel. It was a visible aid to help focus on a specific goal. It was also a way to avoid distraction from a desired goal. The shirt pocket list provided a visible reminder to be patient, persistent and persevere: In a way, it lead to the publishing of “The Power of Positive Thinking” by Rev. Norman Vincent Peale who studied 20th century successful people who endured through tremendous challenges to achieve worthy goals. Goals that required the practice of civil business and personnel negotiations to help their businesses survive and thrive.
- You can also take advantage of “shirt pocket” self help motivation to resist the challenge of incivility that happens to be all mankind’s inherited burden. See the Internet resources to collect and add doable attitudes and habits to your “shirt pocket list” of knowledge for positive resistance to incivility in the categories of Understanding, Valuing, Caring and Respect.
- Also suggested for your “shirt pocket list” of attitudes and habits for resisting incivility!
- Listening to the other
- Understanding the other
- Caring about the other
- Respect for the other
- Positive interactions with the other
- For the good of all in common!
- In addition, be aware of twenty-first century uncivil behaviors that include…Racism and Ethnocentrism, that is, belief in one’s own group’s superiority and contempt for others. More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism.
- Search Resources for Resisting Incivility for The Common Good.
- Synonyms for Civility: Being appreciative, considerate, compassionate, gratefulness for favors, kindness, sympathetic, gracious, patient, regard, thankfulness and thanking, thoughtful, supportive, etc. more resources below…
- A positive response poem for sustaining motivation to practice the arts of civility for the common good: Go to https://www.fivestarteacher.com/tag/cares/
- “When Resisted Positively, Weaknesses Become Strengths”
Go to… https://www.fivestarteacher.com/when-resisting-positively-weaknesses-become-strengths/
- Patience, persistence and perseverance is what it requires you to practice the arts of civility in a way that resists the evils of incivility: It means staying true to your civil commitments through practicing the social arts of Understanding, Valuing, Caring and Respect!
- Understanding, https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=understanding+definition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
- Searches related to understanding people.
- Searches related to valuing-definition.
- Caring Definition:
- Searches related to caring definition.
- Searches related to another word for caring person.
- Searches related to respect definition.
- Other Searches related to practicing the social arts of Civility:
• Resisting incivility for the common good: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Resisting+Incivility+for+The+Common+Good&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
• Searches terms for the Common Good: Understanding the value of the “common good.”
- For The Common Good Poems:
- For Social Justice Poetry go to:
- For poetry about how human beings deal with their inner dialogue and the world they live, go to:… https://www.unconventionalbeing.com
- Thank you for visiting my positive response practical poetry garden. May you always be fresh and blooming and resisting the evils of incivility! Resistance to incivility is a way to avoid and prevent person to person violence that can lead to warring among nations! Every person can make a difference for civility!
• Best of luck, day by day, practicing and role-modeling the social arts of civility for human survivability, especially your own! Civil behavior is reflected with civil behavior. What gets practiced gets emulated by others for the good of all in common!
- To help encourage others to practices the qualities of civility to resist incivility, would you please forward this to others?
- Thank you for helping the cause of civil behavior for the common good of all 😊
©2018 by Blooming Bobville the practical teacher poet. www.fivestarteacher.comSHARE